The funny disease.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

We’re Number 2!

Phoenix is the second worst city for road rage in the U.S. I guess I am a little surprised, because I don’t see angry driving, so much as stupid driving. There was definitely a lot of rage and hate among drivers in Chicagoland (where I used to live). Here I've noticed there was not so much honking, nor as many Italian hand gestures.

Sweetface can sit out a non-arrow left turn without being honked at (most of the time). He has this thing about being the second or third car to turn left at a yellow light. If he’s behind the white line, he won’t. When we moved here, the rampant occurrences
of stupid driving was a bit of a shock. Brain fry, brought on by lifetime in the hot sun, I guess.

Here in the Phoenix valley, five cars get through a yellow light, which of course, they don’t really get through the yellow light. The last three cars kind of plow into the intersection because they feel like they’ve sat at that intersection long enough and deserve to put the lives of strangers at risk.


The streets are bad, but the freeways are Stephen King
scary. The HOV lane (for carpoolers), on the far left of the freeway, could be renamed the Autobahn lane. Except that some people believe it’s still the HOV lane and drive something that resembles the speed limit. By far the dumbest driver I saw on the freeway was a woman who had covered all of the windows of (except the windshield) of her sedan with foil sunshades.

On the streets there are a lot of rice boys
(teenagers driving cheap cars they’ve souped up so they look fast) and princesses driving with a cigarette in one hand and a cellphone in the other. There are angry soccer moms out for vengeance, and treadmill day traders with their phones attached to their ears and their Palm Pilots attached to their hand as if they joined up with the Borg, because the office couldn’t possibly do without them for five minutes.

Now, I know that the police don’t have time to track down everyone that ever cut me off. Or almost smashed into me because they were checking the NASDAQ on the CrackBerries, but I wish there was an official, central place to report reckless driving. If drivers get enough citations from fellow citizens maybe they could be investigated by the police, or get a point on their license. Or even receive a nasty note on MVD stationary telling them they are irresponsible, narcissistic, out-of-control jerks and we hope they aren’t reproducing.


The Worst and Best Cities for Road Rage

7 Comments:

Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

I am doing my part to put the Mean in "Mean Streets"!! I wish I had a third arm so I wouldn't have to let go of the steering wheel to flip people off. Only the ones that have it coming of course - that is to say everyone except me!!!

5/18/2006 10:37 AM

 
Blogger crallspace said...

Yes, the Chicagoland area is full of rabid, mean drivers!

Glad to be long gone outta there-- I was from Schererville, IN- you?

Corvallis has some road rage, often geared toward us bicyclists. As great as bike commuting is, you have to pay more attention than if you were driving.

5/19/2006 12:32 PM

 
Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Phos--well, maybe someday you can have a genetically engineered third arm attached to your body. I bet, since you'd only need the one finger you could get a discount.

Dirk--Sweetface is a solid guy. And I did ask permission before I published anything with Sweetface.

Crall--I lived in Naperville.

It really steams my beans when I see drivers disregard the safety of bikers and cyclists. They're at the mercy of drivers, and stupid, reckless people just don't see that.

5/19/2006 1:32 PM

 
Blogger Fuff said...

There's a lot of road rage here too. Drivers are unbelievably aggressive, dangerous and inconsiderate.

5/20/2006 4:37 AM

 
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Or I could just hang my ass out the window and drive by the offenders.

5/21/2006 11:50 AM

 
Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

SL
green means go
red means stop
yellow means go like hell

5/22/2006 10:05 AM

 
Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

By far the worse drivers I've ever encountered were (in no particular order) in the 1/DC-Virginia area and 2/ Kansas City, MO-KS area.

FairSCaPe:

green = gun it
red = gun it then burn the brakes
yellow = wait for last second before it turns red, then gun it.

5/26/2006 11:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home