The funny disease.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Gouda? I thought it was tofu!

Sweetface and I are lucky enough to live near my parents, and visit them on the weekends pretty regularly. A couple of weekends ago, Dad walked into the TV room where we were watching a movie, with a strip of about five string cheese packets clutched in one hand. This is not an unusual snack for him, and when he was on the Atkins diet, it didn’t seem to affect his weight loss. But now that he’s on the “Dad eats what Dad wants” diet, I worry about his cholesterol and high blood pressure.

“Dad, you eat a lot of cheese,” I say to him, trying not to be confrontational about it. Stating my concerns as if maybe he didn’t notice.

He said, “You ain’t the boss of me. I’ll do what I want.” Okay that’s not exactly what he said, but except for the liberal sprinkling of profanities, that was the gist.

When I talked to him this Sunday about maybe coming over to visit next Saturday, he asked, “Oh. Is that when we’re having my Cheese Intervention?


“No, Dad.”


Just because Dad isn’t annoyed enough with me and my failed Cheese Intervention, I have analyzed the Nutritional Information on a package of string cheese. Aside from the fact that 50 calories of the string cheese is from fat, one serving of string cheese is a pretty healthy snack.

Even two servings, isn’t really so bad, unless someone is watching their sodium intake. But ingesting 5 string cheeses means you’ve eaten 400 calories, 30 grams of fat and a whopping 1200 grams of sodium. Not to mention the fact that 30 grams of fat is nearly half the amount of fat that the government thinks people on a 2,000 calorie diet should have for the entire day.



Serving Size 1 piece 28 grams


StringCheese



For comparison I will link to the McDonald’s website, and the Nutritional Information on the
Quarter Pounder (R). Note that there are slightly more calories, but about half as much fat. And the walk to the McDonald’s is much further than the walk to the refrigerator.

I know that my Dad will probably tell me that he doesn’t want the government all up in his deli drawer. But I have to say that if I end up taking care of him in his old age, he’s going to eat low fat, sugar free rice pudding and do Tai Chi and like it.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Frikkin' Illinois cheese nazi

5/23/2006 11:03 AM

 
Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Um...hmm. You know, I'm not sure. Probably Sweetface doesn’t think it's as lucky as I think it is. I should ask him maybe.

5/23/2006 11:48 AM

 
Blogger jin said...

Wow, sounds like my dad. His blood sugar is through the roof, his blood pressure is high, he will not listen to ANYONE & a day cannot go by without him eating: 2+ cookies, a pint of ice cream, 2+ beers, 1/2 bag of potato chips and, last but not least, deep fried something! (I'm so not kidding, every day!)

5/23/2006 9:18 PM

 
Blogger Fuff said...

They sell a form of string cheese over here. It looks pretty 'orrid and far from appetising, but I can't think of much worse than McDonalds so called food.

5/24/2006 5:29 AM

 
Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

Oh, dear Sarah, You had me cracking up with the last bit. I hope you'll be able to get your dad jiggy with that diet.

Jin: Your description of your dad's health and diet is very, very, very frightening. I wish you and your family the best of luck.

5/27/2006 12:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm kind of curious myself re: if he considers himself lucky to live near your parents....

He did make me home made biscotti..and it was YUMMY too!!!

Love ya much

mommie no fun

5/31/2006 9:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home