The funny disease.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

WooHoo! It’s Raining…Rain…

Ok, so it sounds stupid to most of the rest of the world. But it’s been about 143 days without rain in the Phoenix Valley: a record drought. Yesterday it was knock-metal-tables-over windy and the temperature dropped and turned cold quickly. By cold I mean cold enough for a jacket, which means for me a sweater and a jacket, because now I’m a complete wuss. Last night I woke at about 3 in the morning, and there was this weird noise on the roof. And then I heard dripping, little splashing pitty-pat raindrop noises.


I had to get up and see for myself. The sky was a grungy orange color and our brand new patio was sopping wet. Of course, I had to undo the half dozen impediments that kept the door locked and slide it open so I could smell the rain. Had it been a little bit warmer, I would have gone out there in bare feet and pjs, but as it was I shut the door when my knees started to freeze.


Little did I suspect it would still be raining when I woke up for the day. And, it’s still raining now. The grass looks downright ecstatic. How do I know the grass is ecstatic? Because it looks extra green and content. Sweetface can blab all he wants about storm lighting, but I think our new lawn is happy. The fact that it’s raining at all is surprising, but the sheer amount of rain is like a godsend.


Sweetface credits the fact that he washed the car last night. Or Chandler’s 18th Annual Ostrich Festival could be to blame for the much needed rain. Attendees will undoubtedly experience the aromatic smell of wet ostrich. Personally, I think one of our good friends in the Pacific Northwest (who is obviously in good with a higher power) wished that the rain would go to Hell. And it did.


Thanks, Pacific Northwest! It was just what we always wanted.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

It was the EL Mirage Health fair - it always rains. Lorenzo is now know as the "Rain God".

Ever smell a wet ostrich?

3/11/2006 11:29 AM

 
Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Then why didn't he hold the health fair two months ago, before everyone got worried about drought?

In fact, why don't we just have quarterly health fairs?

3/11/2006 4:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the odd things about moving to Vancouver was they count consecutive days of rain, and back home we always counted consecutive days without rain.

I was doing my happy dance this weekend because we had a couple nice dry days.

3/12/2006 10:51 AM

 
Blogger Fuff said...

I will do my best to send you all of the rain that we get here, as you like it so much! Could you, in return, send some nice warm weather please?

3/12/2006 5:36 PM

 
Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Sarahtoo--I actually heard people here complain about the rain this weekend. Time to break out my collection of miniature violins.

Fuff--I'll see what I can do.

3/13/2006 10:36 AM

 
Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

What did Phoenix do to you? Besides be lethally smoggy and hotter than a chicken rotisserie?

OK, maybe that's enough...

3/15/2006 12:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home