The funny disease.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Honest Excuse or Huge Pile of Moldy Cow Ploppy?

Given the cynical outlook of many of my posts, you might be surprised to learn that I’m gullible with a capital G. No, this is not an invitation to the country of Nigeria to e-mail me numerous heart-wrenching requests for my account numbers, in their own unique brand of English. I’m willing to admit that I can’t always tell if someone’s being straight with me, and Dear Reader, I would like your input.

Last Friday, for example, Larry Landscaper was supposed to come by around 11ish to drop off a quote. (We are in desperate need of a landscaper. The HOA will surely start sending us nasty notes, soon. Right now, our front is dirt.) Eleven forty five rolled around, and I decided not to let it just slip out of my grasp. After weeks of experience with landscapers I have learned that they almost always have something better to do than try to get my business. So I gave Larry a call, all the while feeling guilty for bothering him.

He told me that some things came up and he would be around at about 2 p.m.

The phone rings at about 1:45 p.m., and it’s Larry. I think he’s calling to tell me he’s on his way. But when I pick up the handset, I quickly find I am mistaken:

Me: Hello?

Larry: Yeah, don’t worry about that. Put it right over there. (Yelling to someone, obviously not me.)

Me: Um…Hello?

Larry: Oh, Hello. Sarah? I’m out on Route 60, just East of Grand (like I needed exact coordinates), and I had a blowout.

Me: Oh no.

Larry: It was the darnedest thing. I bought these tires from Just Tires only two months ago. The tire blew out because there was a bubble in it. So, they’re still under warranty from Just Tires.

Unfortunately, I can’t just change it to the spare because the tire is wrapped around the axel, so my car is getting towed to Just Tires.

Me: Uh-huh.

Larry: They’re towing it straight to Big O…Just Tires. I’m going to be first in line when I get there, so I’ll still be able to make it. I’ll give you a call when I’m on my way.

Me: Ok.

It didn’t occur to me that Larry might be yanking my chain until I hung up the phone. The conversation is, based on my memory, and therefore not exact. But Larry really did say “Just Tires” about 5 times in the course of our conversation. He never did show up. And more heinously, he never did call, not even to cancel.

So did Larry concoct a story that I should have put on my tall cowboy boots for, or should I give him the benefit of the doubt?

1 Comments:

Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Larry is the buttlord of lies, he was at another job site, you can almost bet on it.

2/12/2006 8:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home