The funny disease.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Cursed Rewrite!

The two things Cursed Tongue hates most are littering and smoking. It's quite unfortunate that many litterbugs also seem to be smokers.

As much as I dislike inhaling second-hand lung tar, even I think it was a little silly to stop an Arthur Miller play on account of scripted, on-stage smoking. There is a story from Reuters entitled To Smoke, or Not to Smoke..., where a theater in Italy put on a production of "A View from the Bridge." One of the characters smokes, and a conscientious, law-abiding, Italian commanded the actor to extinguish his cancer stick. Which brings me to the third misbehavior that really steams my beans, talking in theaters. They actually stopped the play and did a 15-minute rewrite, sans cigarettes.

Why did it not occur to anybody that the character could hold an unlit cigarette and pretend to smoke? It is called "acting," after all.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Yeah! The jag could have used a stunt cigaette and the guy in the audiance could have bought the large bucket of shut the hell up at the concession stand!!!

11/15/2005 5:47 PM

 
Blogger KyuBall said...

The other day I went the the movies with my wife and son. Just before we entered the theater, I group of 4 teenagers exited. One of the little boys had some kind of marketing pamphlet. He took one step past a trash can and dropped the pamphlet.

I think the crying Indian commercials need to be revived. This country is going to bury itself in garbage again.

11/15/2005 6:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home